As we approach the final few days of the local elections 2011, postal voters should have already received their ballot papers and everyone should, by now, have received their polling card. I am incredibly proud to be the Labour Candidate for Royston and Carlton and here is why I am urging local residents to vote Labour:
This is the only way to send a clear message to the Tory & Lib-Dem government. We will not stand by and watch them destroy our public services, squeeze hard-working families, hurt those in need, such as the elderly and dash the hopes and aspirations of our young people by making it harder for them to access further and higher education.
- With the cost of gas and electricity rising, what did Osborne do? He cut the Winter Fuel Allowance for Pensioners.
- With families being squeezed and having to cut back, what did Osborne do? He removed their child's EMA, making education a choice based on affordability.
- When more children from poor backgrounds were trying to escape the poverty trap through education, what did Osborne do? He cut the teaching budget to universities by 80%, meaning that they cannot avoid increasing fees, they were then allowed to do so, when the upper limit was increased by 300% to £9000. The prospect of beginning their working life with mortgage-level debt, is enough to put young people from these backgrounds off going into higher education.
- When families were stretched, due to pay-freezes and increased demand on their money, what did Osborne do? He raised VAT.
- When families were stretched even further as a result of the increases in VAT, the increased fuel duty and soaring prices, what did Osborne do? He cut their Tax Credits.
If you have any questions or have a problem with your postal vote, or have not yet received your polling card, contact BMBC Electoral Services on 01226 773070.